Saturday, March 2, 2013

Continuing West

2/23 - 2/28/2013
El Paso, TX
Wilcox, AZ
Catalina State Park, AZ

Heading west our next stop was EL Paso, TX where we encountered a huge dust storm in fact we stayed an extra day because of it.  When we left the following day the skies were clear and no sign of a dust storm.  I was expecting the dust to hang in the air like the forest fires do in Montana.





















Almost the same pose the next day




















Dust storm



The next morning














The most exciting thing on I-10 between El Paso and Arizona, besides no wind, was three big trucks pass us (we always go 60 mph) carrying the Budweiser Clydesdale horse teams.






















We were headed for Benson AZ to Benson AZ to the  Escapee Park and then I remembered that I had a $25.00 coupon from Good Sam, for any Good Sam RV park and I found one in Wilcox, AZ for $27.00 including tax, this shortened our trip by about 50 miles.
I got the coupon from Camping World because we extended our membership for two years at a cost of $25.00.  The best part of this is that I actually remembered where the coupon was hidden away in my purse.

The next morning we are on our way again to Catalina State Park, a little north-east of Tuscon.  They were completely booked so we boondocked in the group campground and then decided to stay there for three nights which also gave me the opportunity to give Joe a much needed hair cut. The showers were hot and lots of water. There are many hikes, we went on a few in the mornings.  I am still trying to recover from my bout with the crud and I just plain run out of energy so taking a nap every afternoon and sitting out in the warm sun.  The first night we were here the temp was down to 22', our catalytic heater worked hard all night keeping the inside temp about 55', sounds cold but we were warm snuggled under the covers.

Early in the morning waiting for the sunrise, that is snow on the mountains.


Along one of the many trails


Cactus Wren





Our Buddy Boy



The end of the trail

This state park allows dogs on almost all of their hiking trails.

I almost forgot while here we went out to dinner at The Keg.  I remember going to one about 25 years ago so we thought we would give it a try.  A little pricey but I had the best prime rib that I have ever eaten, cut it with a fork, a big portion too.  I am not much of a meat eater but I would definitely  go back there again.


Thanks for stopping by, drive safe

Nancy

2 comments:

  1. We used to go the The Keg in Vancouver, WA, but it closed quite a few years ago. We went to one in Vancouver, BC, a few years ago, just for old times sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nancy, thanks for stopping by on my blog! I see we are both recovering from the crud...ewwww-yuk. Hope you are feeling better. I see some of my friends have already discovered you so now we can have a party LOL!! (Hi, Carol K)

    ReplyDelete